Job Title: Legal Officer
Industry: Oil and Gas
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
The Legal Officer is expected to provide legal support and maintain clients’ relationship. S/he will receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and decide on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests. S/he will be expected to review research documents and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures. The Legal Officer will develop and discusses legal strategies and support client group team to gather evidence to support claims, prepare legal documents and represent clients, based on assigned industry, in court on legal matters.
- Provide high-quality legal services to internal clients within the oil and gas company.
- Evaluate requests for legal advice from current and potential clients, determining appropriate responses promptly.
- Offer expert legal advice, opinions, procedures, and a range of associated legal services to clients in a timely manner.
- Delegate and supervise tasks assigned to the Client Group and Administrative support staff.
- Ensure the quality of client services delivered by self, associates, and other Administrative support staff.
- Draft, interpret, and review agreements, legal reports, engagement letters, and various legal documents.
- Provide research support to the team, conducting case history and legislation research, and applying relevant laws, decrees, and regulations to cases.
- Negotiate, execute, terminate, and administer contracts, agreements, and settlements.
- Represent the company in litigation proceedings, arbitration proceedings, and enforcement proceedings related to court orders and arbitration awards.
- Prepare scopes of work, estimate fees, and provide quotations.
- Manage ‘work-in-progress and collections’ following the company’s guidelines and standards.
- Adhere to the company’s time management protocol and efficiently use resources for optimum productivity.
- Collaborate with clients and other professionals to share information on work progress, legal proceedings, positions, and related legal matters.
- Contribute constructively to non-chargeable activities, such as committee meetings, article writing, posting on designated sites, time recording, and case file management.
- Comply with procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook, other company procedures manuals, and professional standards.
- Offer support and guidance to junior members of the Client Group team.
Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) and a Barrister at Law (B.L) call to the Nigerian Bar
8 + years’ experience as a Lawyer or providing legal advice