Job Title: New Role
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
The Associate Lawyer is required to demonstrate significant experience and breadth of knowledge of litigation practices. To proffer sound legal advice, diligently conduct cases and represent clients to achieve a favourable outcome, and advise on technical, strategic and procedural aspects across the spectrum of problems.
However, the focus will be on providing advice on a broad range of legal and commercial matters and being involved in negotiations and legal drafting.
- Receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and decide on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests
- Examining legal data to determine the advisability of defending or prosecuting a lawsuit.
- Gathering evidence to initiate legal actions or formulate a defence, by such means as interviewing clients and witnesses to ascertain the facts of the case.
- Upon receipt of court processes, carry out the required action in accordance with court instructions and set duration.
- Managing and monitoring cases through the enforcement process ensuring that all activities are completed in the required timelines and conform to court rules.
- Conducting legal research on a variety of legal issues leading to the preparation of technically sound legal opinions, reports, and papers, summarizing results and including recommendations respecting implementation, a form of response or a course of action to be taken.
- Provide expert and timely advice on law, legal procedures and a wide range of associated issues.
- Negotiate, draft, and finalize terms and conditions for a wide range of agreements contracts and other legal documents (such as service agreements, master agreements, financing agreements, supply agreements, lease and construction agreements, joint venture agreements, and non-disclosure agreements).
- Reviewing and interpreting agreements, policies, procedures, and other relevant documentation to identify problems with respect to the legality, enforceability, form and substance, and recommendations.
- Providing commercially focused legal transactional advice on company formation, articles of association, shareholders agreements, joint venture agreements, board minutes and resolutions
- Excellent legal risk awareness, evaluation and management skills including an ability to create solutions and deliver pragmatic outcome-focused judgments that take account of the business environment.
- Tracking and reviewing legislative bills to identify areas of likely impacts on the operations of clients and potential clients at large
- Monitoring and reporting on the promulgation of new laws and regulations in Nigeria.
- Responsible for ensuring effective management of time, effort and resources in order to generate maximum efficiencies
- Make a constructive contribution to the non-chargeable activities of the firm
- Undertake special tasks and perform other related duties as assigned in accordance with the Firm’s objectives
- Degree in law
- 4 years minimum experience in a law firm.
- Call to Bar Certificate